Why and how to patch test for allergies before hair colouring
- Mix a coin-sized amount of the colour formula (A) and activator (B), plus the same sized amount of the Shade Shot Plus (if adding) and mix together in a bowl.
- Use a cotton bud to apply a small amount of hair colour mixture behind your ear.
- Leave it on for 48 hours before washing off.
- If you have any signs of an allergic reaction, wash it off immediately and do not use the permanent colour.
Want help choosing the perfect shade of permanent hair dye for you? Contact our Client Delight Team for advice.
How the hair colouring process works
One of these commonly used chemicals you may have heard of is PPD (listed in ingredients as Paraphenylenediamine). While our Permanent Colour Kits and Shade Shots (that are applied with the permanent colour) do not contain PPD, they do contain an ingredient called toluene-2,5-diamine sulphate, also known as PTD.
How to patch test at home1. It's important to perform an Allergy Alert Test each time you colour your hair, even if you’ve used at home hair dye before and had no reaction, as skin can develop an allergy over time.
2. An allergic reaction to hair dye can consist of itchy skin, redness or even blisters on your scalp, so it’s really important to do a patch test to avoid these. DO NOT use the product if you experience any reaction.
3. Mix a coin-sized amount of the colour formula (A) and activator (B), plus the same sized amount of the Shade Shot Plus (if adding for a personalised hair colour finish) and mix together in a bowl.
Tip: It’s very important to fasten the caps on the bottles tightly after you have opened them for the Allergy Alert Test, to prevent the products oxidising and ensure the active ingredients will work after the test. Once products are mixed, they cannot be kept and should be disposed of carefully.
5. Leave it on for 48 hours before washing off. You shouldn’t even notice it’s there, there may be a tiny dot of product residue visible but no marks or redness if your test is normal.
6. If you have any signs of an allergic reaction, wash it off immediately and do not use the permanent colour. Please do contact us if this is the case and we will happily refund you for the product as you cannot use it.
7. If you show no signs of reaction to the hair dye, you are all clear to go ahead and use your perfect hair colour shade match as instructed.